My work is driven by a perpetual excitement about light. I paint primarily from memory, exploring the relationship between the phenomenon of light as it presents itself in memory and the action of painting. Sometimes the starting point for a body of works is a specific recollection of luminosity in the landscape. Other times, the work begins with a constructed space, such as a box made from found pieces of wood that lets the light in through cracks and openings. I like playing with the perceived materiality of light, in a manner inspired by the impasto application of paint in the late works of Rembrandt. In one moment it can appear to be more solid than the surface on which it falls, in another it seems ready to take off in a cascade of dust motes and reflected light, before it pours over a step like a viscous liquid.
- 2017 The Felix Project, charity group show at the Nunnery Gallery, Bow.
- 2017 Vessels of Light, solo show at the Norwegian Church, Rotherhithe.
- 2017 Uncommon Ground, group show at the Royal Geographical Society, Kensington.
- 2016 From the Studio Floor, group show at Guildhall, Cambridge.
- 2016 The Yearning, solo show at the Norwegian Church, Rotherhithe.
- 2015 From the Studio Floor, group show at Anise Gallery, Bermondsey.
- 2015 Incognito, group show at The Stone Space, Leytonstone.
- 2014 New English Art Club, annual open exhibition, Mall Galleries, The Mall.
- 2014 Recent Graduates Showcase, the Affordable Art Fair, Battersea Park.
- 2014 ArtGemini Prize, TriSpace Gallery, Bermondsey.
- 2014 MA Fine Art Show, City & Guilds of London Art School, Kennington.
- 2014 Site/Sight, group show at the R.K.Burt Gallery, Southwark.
- 2014 FBA Futures, showcase of recent graduates, Mall Galleries, The Mall.
- 2013 Reflection, group show, Burgh House, Hampstead.
- 2014 The Charitable Arts Trust Award, NEAC annual exhibition, The Mall Galleries.
- 2014 1st prize winner ArtGemini Prize, Painting and Sculpture, TriSpace Gallery.
- 2014 MA Fine Art, City & Guilds of London Art School, London
- 2013 Diploma Painting, The Art Academy, London